Saturday, March 27, 2010

MAC Week #4 Response to Bob Jr’s Musing

Bob wrote the following:

In order to move forward into the future, we should look back at our past. My past has been full of obstacles that stood in the way. I have overcome most of these, but as one obstacle is taken down, more seem to pop up. Sometimes I wonder if it’s just me not getting out of my way, but there are other outside forces that can go against your goals as well. Things that have stood in my way are people who called themselves family, money, a few crazy people with too much power and control, mistakes I have made in my life, and the lack of a Master’s degree.

The good news is, that despite the obstacles I have faced and continue to face, I have always managed to reach my goals. I will always have to deal with some obstacle along he way but have made valiant efforts to move past them. One ideal job I applied for I was told I had the experience and was the type of person they were looking for but I lacked the degree. I am now eliminating that obstacle, I just need to find the opening.

The job I was looking at was at a music college. The position was to be part of the new online programs they were building at the school. Recently, thanks to Full Sail and programs I have implemented at my current job, I have discovered that online teaching is definitely an aspect of my dream job.

I bring a lot to the table at any place I work. I offer creativity, drive, a solid work ethic and a laid back demeanor which allows me to handle difficult situations. I deserve my dream job because of the work I put into obtaining the tools I need to work there. I have taken a lot of chances to achieve my goals and worked hard to get where I am in less than ideal circumstances. It’s about time the non-crazy person wins and moves on to success after being help back for so long.

Please email me directly and I will answer any questions you should have about my work experience and how I overcame obstacles. I have references available and look forward to working with you in the near future.

My Response:

Good post. I appreciate your honesty. In following my path, I have learned that delays, set backs, and detours were lessons to prepare me for the next leg of my journey - especially if they were just reminders that I can call upon a higher power for guidance. The second biggest lesson I have learned is that I can be my own worst obstacle in the way of my dream job.

Recently I watched again Steve Jobs’ 2005 Stanford Commencement Speech. I took away a few points from that speech.

Know who you are

Find lessons from the set backs

Love what you do

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it

Stay hungry. Stay foolish

I’m cool with that.

Steve Jobs’ 2005 Stanford Commencement Speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

No comments: